Vice President, Finance and Administration
Founded in 2003, Presidio Graduate School (PGS) educates and inspires a new generation of skilled, visionary and enterprising leaders to transform business and public policy and create a more just, prosperous and sustainable world. Through innovative MBA, MPA, Dual Degree, and Executive Certificate programs in Sustainable Management, PGS activates students and professionals across a range of disciplines, industries, and sectors to bridge the gap between commerce and the common good. PGS has 150 students currently enrolled and more than 2,000 alumni. Our community of world-class faculty is composed of scholar-practitioners, with subject matter expertise in areas ranging from ecological economics and clean technology to social entrepreneurship and urban sustainability. PGS was ranked among the top 5 sustainable MBA programs in the nation by Fast Company magazine.
PGS is searching for a strategic, effective, experienced leader to join a dynamic and innovative organization at the forefront of education for sustainable and equitable progress. Reporting to the President, the Vice President, Finance and Administration (VP) is responsible for the executive leadership and oversight of PGS’s finance, operations, administration, facilities, talent, and information technology. The VP will have direct oversight of the university’s operating budget and financial accounts, and they will be responsible for ensuring smooth and efficient operations of the graduate program. They will serve on the senior leadership team and lead committees with the PGS Board of Directors. As PGS continues to grow in terms of reach, depth, and impact, the VP will provide strategic vision and operational expertise on our growth plans and opportunities for transformative impact.
The VP oversees a capable small team and works closely with all team members at PGS. Ideal candidates bring significant finance leadership experience, ideally in a college or university setting, as well as experience with setting up, evaluating, and evolving systems. This person is exceptionally organized, works efficiently, and is an outstanding team player.
- Executive Leadership & Strategic Growth: Thought partner with the senior leadership and board of directors to prepare for improvement and expansion, leading long-term financial projections and operational planning
- Financial Management: Maintain best practices, systems, accuracy, and integrity in accounting and finance, with oversight of budget and audits. Provide actual vs. forecast performance reports to functional department heads, partnering with the program and operational teams to develop organization-wide awareness and knowledge of financial issues and concerns. Develop streamlined financial reports for senior leadership and Board of Directors, enabling the CEO, full Board, and Finance Committee to make critical strategic and fiscal decisions
- Reporting & Compliance: Oversees all audit preparation including annual non-profit financial audit as well as single audit (related to Financial Aid and DoE funds.) Oversee various compliance and accreditation audits, site visits, and reporting
- Goal setting, metrics, and plan implementation. Oversee strategic and annual plan goal-setting process and reporting, including team-level goals, individual goals, and dashboard
- Talent Development, organizational capacity, and HR. Set strategy for workplace culture, attracting and retaining top and diverse talent. Ensure PGS is a supportive, inclusive, and dynamic place to work. Oversee internal team initiatives around team building, staff meeting, performance reviews, goal-setting, and more. Oversee multi-state payroll and benefits administration and compliance with all HR best practices
- Systems and efficiencies. Provide executive oversight of the implementation and improvement of all systems at PGS, including CRM database, academic learning systems, technology, contracts, legal, and more
- Facilities Management. Oversee the acquisition and management of office and classroom/student meeting space. Participate in long-term planning for future space needs, including a potential full campus
- General Management: Mentor, manage, and coach direct and indirect reports
- A minimum of 15 years of professional experience, with a track record of success leading the finance function in a complex, dynamic, high-growth organization. An understanding of non- profit GAAP accounting is essential. It is preferable the candidate has a background from academic finance with an understanding of NACUBO best practices
- Ability to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands
- A collaborative approach to meeting goals, with the ability to achieve results through others, while building strong and sustainable relationships with staff at all levels of the organization, as well as with external stakeholders
- An effective developer of solutions to business challenges; self-motivated with excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Direct experience in talent/HR, or analogous experience that demonstrates the candidate’s ability to serve as our talent and people leader
- Commitment to results; “can-do” mindset; outstanding problem-solving ability
- Excellent organization, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- A Masters in Business Administration (MBA) or equivalent preferred
A note on location:
This position is located in the Presidio in San Francisco until June 2020; at that time, the organization will move offices with precise location TBD, but the high priority is for the new office to be in walking distance to a BART station. PGS has a flexible culture and telecommuting is possible 1-2 days per week, position depending.
Please send your salary requirements, cover letter, and resume to PGS’s President Liz Maw firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will not be considered without a thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for this position.
Presidio Graduate School is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees