Welcome to Residency
Students and faculty meet five times per semester for four-day residencies. On-site learning during residencies is combined with interactive distance learning, including required synchronous online class sessions, conference calls, readings, team-oriented assignments, and projects with real companies.
Residency & COVID-19
After nearly a year and a half, we are excited to be able to come back together this month for in-person residency. However, with the Delta variant spreading rapidly, affecting both vaccinated and unvaccinated populations, we want to ensure we keep our communities near and far healthy and safe.
As a reminder, here are our COVID-19 guidelines:
- We are requiring proof of vaccination for anyone attending in person (please submit no later than August 14th)
- In compliance with Alameda County requirements, we will also require all community members to wear masks while indoors at residency.
- If you are vaccinated and were exposed to COVID-19 in the last 14 days, please be sure to be tested and receive a negative result before attending residency.
We will be providing color-coded bracelets to all students attending in-person residency. These bracelets will indicate each person’s social distancing preferences, as follows:
- Red means “Please maintain a six-foot distance.”
- Yellow indicates “No handshakes, but elbow bumps are allowed.”
- Green signifies that handshakes are welcome.
Attendance at monthly residencies is required. Any student who misses more than one residency class session per term will not qualify to pass the course. Exceptions can only be made in extenuating circumstances. In the case where a student must miss part or all of a residency, the student must inform course faculty prior to the absence. It is up to the student (not faculty) to take responsibility for making up any missed class lectures or materials. Students may ask other class members if they are willing to share notes, slides or assignment details for the day(s) missed.
View Fall 2021 course offerings and room assignments.
Oakstop 17: 1721 Broadway, Oakland CA 94612
Oakstop 14: 274 14th Street, Oakland CA 94612
Note: The registrar office will communicate the course schedule and residency location (building 17 or 14) at least two weeks in advance.